Monday, December 20, 2010

Lights will guide you home.

It was never my intention to leave this blog ignored and neglected for so long. I don't even remember taking a conscious sabbatical from writing. Before I knew it though, I was going through a dry spell, one of the worst I have faced in a long, long time.

It's funny, this whole writer's block thing. For someone who believed that writer's block was just another excuse to not write, to hide comfortably under the pretense of an established condition most writers go through, grappling with it was strange.
Contrary to popular belief, it does not set in whenever there's a dearth of passion. It just does. It creeps up on you, when you least expect it to. You ignore it at first, you pretend you're immune to it. You burst your bubble soon enough. And it just becomes easier to sway, to sway to a tune you don't set, a tune you have no knowledge of. Six months pass and you feel like you are never writing again. You lose the right to call yourself a writer anymore, hence rendering the very term pointless.

But, you want to write. More than anything else. More than you admit. To yourself. By now, you've reached far beyond the point where you could blame it on 'writer's block' and shrug it off. So you wait. You wait for when you think you'll be ready. In truth though, you're only fooling yourself, pretending some more. That mythical, magical day you wait for will never come till I beckon it.

This is home. This is my space. I have come to reclaim it. I created this space for a reason. It was meant as much for catharsis as an almost introspective glance. Without it, I felt like a part of me was just barely hanging in there. Suspended. Perhaps it was an over-dependence. Perhaps it just meant I wasn't committed enough, or that I felt a little like Alice. Either way, it's real. It's happening. I'm reclaiming.

12 comments:

Ishita_Dasgupta said...

:-D

You probably know how happy this makes me. But it's actually much more than that. :-)

Stuti said...

:)

It's time for you too, perhaps?

ashima madan said...

Guess who's back?
Back again!!
:D

Surabhi said...

Good to see you :). Lights indeed will guide us all home. Welcome back.

Ankita said...

Writer's block;Nothing like not feeling it today.

Anonymous said...

The label in the post is well justified 'Rant' :)) But well expressed thoughts and keep blogging.

Stuti said...

Ashima: :)

Surabhi: Hi! Thank you. :)

Ankita: Hah! It's funny, really. Blaming it on writer's block. :D

Yagyesh: After six months of no writing, rants come easy. :)
Thank you!

PJ said...

Its tough to get over this writer's block phase! But its good to know that there are people around in blogger ville who instead of giving up on their blogs and continue to write :)

Sam said...

Like. :P

Rahul Bhatnagar said...

Got late on this one, but this is something I can totally relate to. Word by word.

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.

Anonymous said...

Again, going through writer's block? Missing your blogs....